Parent mental health
- Campbell, T., Reupert, A., Sutton, K., Basud, S., Davidson, G., Middeldorp, Naughton, M., & Maybery, D. (in press). Prevalence of mental illness among parents of children receiving treatment within child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS): a scoping review.European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Dunkley-Smith, A., Reupert, A., Ling, M., & Sheen, J. (in press). Experiences and perspectives of self-compassion from young adult children of parents with mental illness. Journal of Adolescence. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2021.05.001
- Dunkley-Smith, A., Reupert, A. Sheen, J., & Ling, M. (in press). A scoping review of self-compassion in qualitative studies about children’s experiences of parental mental illness. https://doi.org/10.1007%2Fs12671-020-01560-x
- Reupert, A., Gladstone, B., Hine, R., Yates, S., McGaw, V., Charles, G., Drost, L., & Foster, K. (in press). Stigma in relation to families living with parental mental illness: An integrative review. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12820
- Laletas, S., Reupert, A., & Goodyear, M. (in press). Exploring the experiences of preschool teachers working with children living with parental mental illness. Early Childhood Education Journal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-020-01131-8
- Bryson H, Perlen S, Price A, Mensah F, Gold F, Dakin P, Goldfeld S. Patterns of maternal depression, anxiety and stress symptoms from pregnancy to 5 years postpartum in an Australian cohort experiencing adversity. Archives of Women's Mental Health https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-021-01145-0
- Brown SJ, Gartland D, Woolhouse H, Giallo R, McDonald E, Seymour M, Conway L, FitzPatrick KM, Cook F, Papadopoullos MacArthur C, Hegarty K, Herrman H, Nicholson JM, Hiscock H, Mensah F. The Maternal Health Study: study design update for a prospective cohort of first-time mothers and their first-born children from birth to age ten. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology2021 May 6 doi: 10.1111/ppe.12757 PMID: 33956353
- Bryson H, Middleton M, Huque H, Mensah F, Goldfeld S, Price AMH. Examining longitudinal associations between self-reported depression, anxiety and stress symptoms and hair cortisol among mothers of young children. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2021;282:921-9. DOI: 1016/j.jad.2020.12.144
- Beatson R, Molloy C, Perini N, Harrop C, Goldfeld S. Systematic review: An exploration of core componentry characterizing effective sustained nurse home visiting programs. Journal of Advanced Nursing.n/a(n/a). DOI: 1111/jan.14755
- Goldfeld S, Bryson H, Mensah F, Gold L, Orsini F, Perlen S, et al. Nurse Home Visiting and Maternal Mental Health: 3-Year Follow-Up of a Randomized Trial. Pediatrics. 2021;147(2). https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-025361
Child and adolescent mental health
- Sung V, Williams K, Perlow E, Hu YJ, Ahern S, Said JM, et al. Enhancing Value and Uptake for Whole-Population Cohorts of Children and Parents: Methods to Integrate Registries into the Generation Victoria Cohort. Children. 2021;8(4):285. DOI: 3390/children8040285
- Bayer J, Brown A, Prendergast L, Bretheron L, Hiscock H, Mialopoulos C, Nelson-Lowe M, Gilbertson t, Noone K, Rapee R. Follow-up of the Cool Little Kids translational trial into middle childhood. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.PMID: 34128236 2021 Jun 15 [Online ahead of print] https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.13464
- Molloy C, Moore T, O'Connor M, Villanueva K, West S, Goldfeld S. A Novel 3-Part Approach to Tackle the Problem of Health Inequities in Early Childhood. Academic Pediatrics. 2021;21(2):236-43. DOI: 1016/j.acap.2020.12.005
- Jones R, Hiscock H, Wurzel D, et al. Mental healthcare for children with chronic conditions: a qualitative study. Archives of Disease in Childhood Published Online First: 21 June 2021. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2021-321795
- Lloyd-Johnsen, C. Eades, S. McNamara, B. D’Aprano, A. & Goldfeld, S. A Global Perspective of Indigenous Child Health Research: a systematic review of longitudinal studies. International Journal of Epidemiology. PMID: 33864092 doi: 10.1093/ije/dyab074.
- Elek C, Gibberd A, Gubhaju L, Lennox J, Highfold R, Goldfeld S, et al. An Opportunity for Our Little Ones: Findings from an Evaluation of an Aboriginal Early Childhood Learning Centre in Central Australia. Early Childhood Education Journal. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-021-01174-5
- Sim WH, Fernando LMN, Jorm AF, Rapee RM, Lawrence KA, Mackinnon AJ, et al. A tailored online intervention to improve parenting risk and protective factors for child anxiety and depression: Medium-term findings from a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2020;277:814-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.09.019
- Jorm, A., & Kitchener, A. (2020). Increases in youth mental health services in Australia: Have they had an impact on youth population mental health? Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1177/0004867420976861
- Allen, K., Berger, E., May, F., Wurf, G., & Rupert, A. (in press). Impact of school-based interventions for building school belonging in adolescence: A systematic review. Educational Psychology Review. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-021-09621-w
- Sahle BW, Reavley NJ, Morgan AJ, Yap MBH, Reupert A, Jorm AF. A Delphi study to identify intervention priorities to prevent the occurrence and reduce the impact of adverse childhood experiences. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. July 2021. doi:10.1177/00048674211025717
- Gartland D, Conway LJ, Giallo R, Mensah FK, Cook F, Hegarty K, Herrman H, Nicholson J, Reilly S, Hiscock H, Sciberras E, Brown SJ. Intimate partner violence and child outcomes at age 10: a pregnancy cohort. Archives of Disease in Childhood2021 Apr 21;archdischild-2020-320321. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2020-320321PMID: 33883191 [Online ahead of print]
- O'Connor M, Ponsonby A-L, Collier F, Liu R, Sly PD, Azzopardi P, et al. Exposure to adversity and inflammatory outcomes in mid and late childhood. Brain, Behavior, & Immunity - Health. 2020;9:100146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbih.2020.100146
- McLean K, Hiscock H, Scott D, Goldfeld S. Foster and kinship carer survey: Accessing health services for children in out-of-home care. J Paediatr Child Health. 2021;57(1):132-9. DOI: 1111/jpc.15157
- Sahle BW, Reavley NJ, Li W, Morgan AJ, Yap MBH, Reupert A, et al. The association between adverse childhood experiences and common mental disorders and suicidality: an umbrella review of systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2021. DOI: 1007/s00787-021-01745-2
- Molloy, C., Beatson, R., Harrop, C., Perini, N., & Goldfeld, S. (2020). Systematic review: Effects of sustained nurse home visiting programs for disadvantaged mothers and children. Journal of Advanced Nursing. http://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14576
- Bryson HE, Price AMH, Goldfeld S, Mensah F. Associations between social adversity and young children’s hair cortisol: A systematic review. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2021;127:105176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2021.105176
- Tennant E, Miller E, Costantino K, Souva D, Coupland H, Fotheringham P, Eastwood J. A Critical Realist Evaluation of an Integrated Care Project for Vulnerable Families in Sydney, Australia. Research Square; 2020.
- Ward, B., Kippen, R., Reupert, A., Maybery, D., Aguis, P., Quinn, B., Jenkinson, R., Sutton, K., Weimand, B., Goldsmith, R., & Dietze, P. (in press). Parent and child co-resident status among an Australian community-based sample of methamphetamine smokers. Drug and Alcohol Review.
- Eastwood, J., Barmaky, S., Hansen, S., Miller, E., Ratcliff, S., Fotheringham, P., … De Souza, D. (2020). Refining Program Theory for a Place-Based Integrated Care Initiative in Sydney, Australia. International Journal of Integrated Care, 20(3), 13. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/ijic.5422
Impacts of Covid-19
- Letter to the Editor – Adverse childhood experiences should be priority in global response to COVID-19 by Berhe Sahle, Richard Ofori‐Asenso and Andre Renzaho
- Berger, E., & Reupert, A. (in press). The COVID-19 pandemic in Australia: Lessons learnt. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy
- Commentary – Health justice partnership in a time of pandemic by Tessa Boyd-Caine and Lottie Turner
- Commentary - Are the kids alright? Social isolation can take a toll, but play can help by Pasi Sahlbrg and Sharon Goldfeld
- O'Connor, M., Goldfeld, S., Burgner, D., & Priest, N. (2020). Addressing childhood adversity is crucial for post-COVID-19 recovery. InSight. https://insightplus.mja.com.au/2020/43/addressing-childhood-adversity-is-crucial-for-post-covid-19-recovery/
- Berger, E., Jamshidi, N., & Reupert, A. (in press). Psychological impacts of coronavirus outbreaks on adults: A rapid evidence review. International Journal of Mental Health Promotion.
- Reupert, A., Schaffer, G., von Hagen, A., Allen, K.A., Berger, E., Büttner, G., Power, E., Morris, Z., Paradis, P., Fisk. A., Summers, D., Wurf, G., & May, F. (in press). The practices of psychologists working in schools during COVID-19: A multi-country investigation. School Psychology.
- Koirala A, Goldfeld S, Bowen A, Choong C, Ryan K, Wood N, Winkler N, Danchin M, Macartney K, Russell F. Lessons learnt during the COVID-19 pandemic: why Australian schools should be prioritised to stay open. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. PMID: 34101922 https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.15588
- Wilson AN, Ravaldi C, Scoullar MJL, et al. Caring for the carers: Ensuring the provision of quality maternity care during a global pandemic. Women Birth. 2021;34(3):206-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2020.03.011\
Literacy and education programs
- Ewin, C., Reupert, A., McLean, L., & Ewin, C. (in press). Mobile devices compared to non-digital toy play: The impact of activity type on the quality and quantity of Parent Language. Computers in Human Behavior.
- Goldfeld S, Moreno-Betancur M, Guo S, Mensah F, O'Connor E, Gray S, Chong S, Woolfenden S, Williams K, Kvalsvig A, Badland H, Azpitarte F, & O'Connor M. Inequities in children's literacy skills: The role of home reading and preschool attendance. Academic Pediatrics.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2021.04.019
- Smith J, Conway L, Goldfeld S, Levickis P. Maternal linguistic input and child language in a cohort at risk of experiencing social adversity. Language Learning and Development. https://doi.org/10.1080/15475441.2021.1875831
- Elek, C., Gray, S., West, S., & Goldfeld, S. Effects of a professional development program on emergent literacy-promoting practices and environments in early childhood education and care. Early Years. https://doi.org/10.1080/09575146.2021.1898342
- Smith J, Levickis P, Neilson R, Mensah F, Goldfeld S, Bryson H. Prevalence of language and pre-literacy difficulties in an Australian cohort of 5-year-old children experiencing adversity. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. 2021;56(2):389-401. https://doi.org/10.1111/1460-6984.12611
- Sim WH, Toumbourou JW, Clancy EM, Westrupp EM, Benstead ML, Yap MBH. Strategies to Increase Uptake of Parent Education Programs in Preschool and School Settings to Improve Child Outcomes: A Delphi Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021;18(7):3524. DOI: 3390/ijerph18073524
- Allen, K., Reupert, A., & Oades, L. (2020, Editors). Building better schools with evidence-based policy. Routledge; Sydney. DOI 4324/9781003025955
Health system (trends and challenges)
- Mulraney M, Lee C, Freed G, Sawyer M, Coghill D, Sciberras E, et al. How long and how much? Wait times and costs for initial private child mental health appointments. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2021;57(4):526-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.15253
- Paton K, Gillam L, Warren H, Mulraney M, Coghill D, Efron D, et al. Clinicians’ perceptions of the Australian Paediatric Mental Health Service System: Problems and solutions. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 2021:0004867420984242. https://doi.org/10.1177/0004867420984242
- Goldfeld S, Paton K, Shaoke L, Perera P, Hiscock H. Trends in Rates and Inequalities in Paediatric Admissions for Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions in Victoria, Australia (2003 to 2013). Journal Paediatrics and Child HealthPMID: 33432713 (JPC-2020-1263) (IF: 1.572). https://doi.org/10.1111/jpc.15338
- Say DF, Carison A, Hill A, Hiscock H, Babl FE, O'Donnell S. Mental health presentations to the paediatric emergency department: A retrospective study. Journal Paediatrics and Child Health2021 Jan 6. doi: 10.1111/jpc.15313PMID: 33404176 [Online ahead of print]
- Bourke EM, Say DF, Carison A, Hill A, Craig S, Hiscock H, Babl FE, O'Donnell SM. Emergency mental health presentations in children with autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health2021 May 8. doi: 10.1111/jpc.15535PMID: 33963626
- Williames, S., Temple-Smith, M., & Sanci, L. (2020). Do new doctors get enough child health experience? Pursuit. https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles/do-new-doctors-get-enough-child-health-experience
- Jorm, A. (2020). The Productivity Commission says mental ill-health costs Australia billions — it’s time for a proper investment in making things better. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/the-productivity-commission-says-mental-ill-health-costs-australia-billions-its-time-for-a-proper-investment-in-making-things-better-150184
- Price A, Zhu A, Nguyen J, Contreras-Suarez D, Schreurs N, Burley J, Lawson K, Kelaher M, Lingam R, Grace R, Raman S, Kemp L, Woolfenden S, Goldfeld S. Study Protocol for the Healthier Wealthier Families (HWF) pilot randomised controlled trial: testing the feasibility of delivering financial counselling to families with young children who are identified as experiencing financial hardship by community-based nurses. BMJ Open2021;11:e044488. PMID: 34020976 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2020-044488.
- Jorm, Tony, “A bigger budget for mental health services won’t necessarily improve Australia’s mental health’’. The Conversation, 12 May 2021, 5.49pm AEST, https://theconversation.com/a-bigger-budget-for-mental-health-services-wont-necessarily-improve-australias-mental-health-160767